Online Programs

SAIS Financial Aid Information

Johns Hopkins SAIS is committed to supporting the next generation of international studies leaders. We understand that attending graduate school is a serious commitment of time and money, and provide a number of options to help finance your education.

Completing the FAFSA
Federal Loan Eligibility
Searching for Outside Scholarships
Timing and Resources
Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any questions on how to fund your graduate studies at Johns Hopkins SAIS, our global financial aid team is here to help.

Completing the FAFSA

Federal aid is available for Johns Hopkins SAIS students to help finance the cost of education. To qualify for federal student aid, you must be a US citizen or an “eligible noncitizen”.

In general, if you have a “green card” (in other words, you are a permanent resident alien), you will be considered an “eligible noncitizen” and will be able to get federal student aid if you meet the other basic eligibility criteria. Details on which immigration statuses are eligible can be found on the Federal Student Aid website.

We strongly encourage all US-based applicants to apply for federal financial aid, regardless of what you think you might receive. There is no income cut-off to qualify for federal student aid.

  1. The first step in applying for federal financial aid is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  2. Include the SAIS Federal School Code: E00474.
  3. Fill out the school year, tax information, and current asset information.
  4. Complete one form per academic year (over the course of two academic years, you will complete 2 FAFSA forms).
  5. You can complete the FAFSA online as early as October 1.

Federal Loan Eligibility

As a graduate student, the only federal aid you are eligible for is federal loans. There are two types of federal loans:

Federal Unsubsidized Loan – 21-22 Interest Rate: 5.28%

Loan Fee: 1.057%

Federal Graduate PLUS Loan – 21-22 Interest Rate: 6.28%

Loan Fee: 4.228%

You should accept an unsubsidized loan before you accept a graduate PLUS loan.

There is a maximum amount of money available for the unsubsidized loan. Financial need is not required for eligibility. Flexible repayment options are available, including longer repayment periods as well as income-sensitive payment schedules.

Unsubsidized Loan Eligibility:

Fall start – Academic Year 1 Fall $10,250/Spr $10,250/Sum $10,250

Academic Year 2 Fall $10,250/Spr $10,250

Spring start – Academic Year 1 Spr $10,250/Sum $10,250

Academic Year 2 Fall $10,250/Spr $10,250/Sum $10,250

Graduate PLUS Loan Eligibility:

To determine maximum grad plus loan eligibility, deduct your unsubsidized loan from your Cost of Attendance (COA). Your COA includes your direct charges, such as tuition and fees and indirect charges such as estimated living, travel, and personal costs.

Federal Documents Needed:

Complete all of these items at the Federal Student Aid website:

Federal Unsubsidized Loan
Master Promissory Note
Federal Graduate PLUS Loan
Master Promissory Note
Graduate PLUS Request Form
Entrance Counseling for Graduate Students

Searching for Outside Scholarships

Johns Hopkins SAIS does not offer scholarship funds. Students must search for external scholarships independently. You can start browsing for external scholarships at Other Financial Resources.

Typically, deadlines are in October and November for the next academic year. If you are starting this Fall, you may have missed the deadline for this academic year. However, you can start searching for scholarships that apply to your second year of study.

Where can you find outside scholarship funds?

Check with your employer to see if they offer any scholarships.
Check with your civic or religious organization to see if they offer scholarships.
Check with your professional organization(s) to see if they offer scholarships.

Timing and Resources

For students starting in the Fall program, the earliest you can expect to receive a notice of financial aid is around mid-March. In general, you can expect to receive a notice of financial aid 2 weeks after you have been accepted into the program, as long as you have submitted the FAFSA.

For additional information and resources related to financial aid, student accounts, and records & registration, visit the Student Enrollment and Account Management website.

Additional Resources:

SAIS Website 
Cost of Attendance 
Billing Resources 
Federal Student Aid
Yellow Ribbon Resource 
Student Information System (SIS)

Our global financial aid team is here to help you find ways to fund your graduate studies at Johns Hopkins SAIS.

Request Support

If we have done everything on the to-do list, are we all set?


Do we need to contact the loan processor?

You do not. They will reach out to you directly.

What are Bank Mobile emails?

Bank Mobile is our third-party servicer that processes our refunds electronically. If you receive a refund, you can set up a refund preference to receive deposits directly to your bank account. This is faster than sending a refund check to your address via mail. If you are not receiving a refund, you can ignore the Bank Mobile emails because they do not apply to you.

If we still have a balance over the FAFSA loan can we pay with a credit card?

No. You can pay with an e-check or wire your payments. Additionally, you can refer to the Billing, Tuition and Aid webpage  to get detailed information on all the various ways to pay your balance.

Can we get a PLUS loan for our outstanding balance?

Yes. Grad plus can be used to cover tuition and fees or other indirect expenses.

Is the School of Advanced International Studies participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program?

Yes. For more information, please visit the Student Enrollment and Account Management website or call +1 (877) 419-5131.